Today, 3.12.2012, at the regular session of the General Assembly of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences Academician Stefan Vodenicharov was elected as the new President of BAS.
After a secret ballot Acad. Vodenicharov received the majority of the votes, with 57 votes.
Academician Stefan Vodenicharov Borisov was born on 01.09.1944 in the city of Sofia.
In 1968 he graduated from the Technical University with a degree in "Mechanical Engineering". In 1974 he received the degree of "Doctor", in 1989 he became "Associate Professor," and in 1991 - "Professor". The title "Doctor of Technical Sciences" he received in 1998. Since 2004 he has been a "Corresponding Member" and in 2012 he was elected as an "Academician".
Before his election as President, Academician Stefan Vodenicharov was director of the Institute of Metal Science, Equipment and Technologies "Acad. Angel Balevski" with a Centre for Hydro and Aerodynamics (IMSETHC) - BAS.
The areas of scientific interest of Academician Vodenicharov are:
• Mechanics of rigid body destruction
• Material Science and Technology of Engineering Materials
• Methods for monitoring and testing of materials, products and equipment
Academician Stefan Vodenicharov is the head of 207 projects and contracts for programmes of the European Union, NATO and the International Atomic Energy Agency, as well as contracts with the Bulgarian government and business organizations (Ministry of Defense; Ministry of the Interior; Ministry of Education, NRA; NPP "Kozloduy")
In his expert activities are included participations in national and international bodies.
• Council for Education and Science of the President of Bulgaria
• Commission for Nuclear Safety of the Nuclear Regulatory Agency
• Training Center of NPP "Kozloduy"
• Interagency Council on the military-industrial complex and mobilization readiness of the country at the Council of Ministers
• Evaluator of III and IV Framework Programmes of the EU
• Expert of the International Atomic Energy Agency
• Representative of Bulgaria to NATO operations
Acad. Vodenicharov is winner of the honorary prize "Marin Drinov" for significant contributions to the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. He is in the "Golden Book of inventors" of the Patent Office. He was awarded the title "Doctor Honoris Causa" of the Technical University of Varna. He was awarded an "Honorary Badge" for merit as an inventor by the Ministry of Economy and received a Plaque from the Minister of Defence for Merit. He is also a winner of the Grand Prize of the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce for creating a series of high-tech products, ensuring national security.
Academic Stefan Vodenicharov is a member of:
• ASM - American Society of Metallurgy;
• AIAA - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics;
• ASTM - American Society for Testing of Materials;
• ASD - Aerospace and Defence Industries Association of Europe