Institute of Information and Communication Technologies
The Institute of Information and Communication Technologies (IICT – BAS) was established with the strategic goal: to overcome the fragmentation of research in the field of information and communication technologies at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and to transform IICT – BAS into an important national factor for the development of modern trends in the field of information and communication technologies whose research is visible and significant on a European scale.
The mission of IICT – BAS is to conduct fundamental and applied research in the field of computer science, information and communication technologies (ICT) and in the development of innovative interdisciplinary applications of these technologies.
The established scientific themes of the Institute are aimed at achieving radical progress and development of innovative applications in such key areas of ICT as:
Contemporary calculations: the expected innovative results are related to the development of efficient means for analyzing the reliability of large-scale computer models, high-performance algorithms for parallel processing and supercomputer applications, robust methods and algorithms for microstructural analysis of materials and tissues on the basis of 3D high-resolution images; creating customized biomedical applications; reliable and effective pollution control / environmental recovery models, etc.
“Big” data: The expected innovative results are related to the construction of high-performance infrastructures for processing large volumes, type and variety of data coming from a variety of input devices (3D computer tomography, thermal camera, high-speed camera, etc.) the development of new methods, tools and applications using “big” data in such problematic areas as preservation and conservation of cultural heritage, development of new nanomaterials, etc.
Intelligent interfaces: innovative results are expected from solving tasks with big computational complexity related to real-life objects or the Internet that will allow for the development of advanced tools for processing text repositories, semantic networks, analysis and synthesis of speech; creating new, effective methods and algorithms for multifunctional interfaces based on eye movement tracing, gesture recognition, mimic, body language, etc., as well as new methods and algorithms for processing information from hyperspectral cameras, acoustic grids, inertial sensors and other devices.
Optimization and intelligent management: innovative results are expected from problem solving in such areas as intelligent diagnostics and decision-making, distributed control systems, optimization methods and algorithms, hierarchical multi-threading models, and algorithms for complex systems management. New models and analytical methods for cyber security assessment and management as well as tools to support the development of individual components of cybersecurity capabilities are being developed.
- 01.01.09: Computational Mathematics. Professional Area: 4.5. Mathematics
- 01.01.13: Mathematical modeling and application of mathematics. Professional Area: 4.5. Mathematics
- 01.01.12: Informatics. Professional Field: 4.6. Informatics and Computer Science
- 02.07.20: Communication networks and systems. Professional Field: 5.3. Communication and computer equipment
- 02.21.04: Computer systems, complexes and networks. Professional Field: 5.3. Communication and computer equipment
- 2.21.07: Automated information processing and control systems. Professional Field: 5.2. Electrical engineering, electronics and automatics.
- 2.21.10: Application of the principles and methods of cybernetics in various fields of science. Professional Field: 5.2. Electrical engineering, electronics and automatics.