The “Journal of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences” is a printed organ of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. It is the successor of the “Periodical Journal” of the Bulgarian Learned Society. The first issue of the Journal was published in 1870; in 1953 it was renamed “Journal of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences” and as such has a 141-year history.
The main purpose of the Journal is to contribute to the spiritual growth of the Bulgarian people and to inform the Bulgarian diaspora around the world about the achievements of Bulgarian scientists, the problems of Bulgarian science, the scientific life in the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and the country through book exchange.
The Journal of BAS publishes, in Bulgarian language, review articles on current scientific issues, original scientific and applied research, book reviews, discussions, information on national and international scientific events, anniversary celebrations and other events in the life of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and its units.
The journal provides a tribune for young scientists as well as for scholars from abroad working in the field of Bulgarian studies. Important events from the life of scientists at home and abroad are covered such as conferences, seminars, congresses, exhibitions. Reviews of newly published Bulgarian and foreign books, interviews with Bulgarian and foreign scientists are published.