Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering
The Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering is a leading research institute in Bulgaria in the field of biophysics, biochemistry, cell biology and physiology. The Institute is at the forefront of the development of biomedical technologies in the fields of electrophysiology, motor mechanics, information technologies and biologically active substances and demonstrates a successful transfer of technologies to other institutes of BAS, universities, clinics and companies.
The Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering was established in 2010 by the merger of the Institute of Biophysics at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and the Central Laboratory of Biomedical Engineering as their universal successor.
Main achievements of the institute
- Application of computer simulated models to characterize the generation and spread of potentials in human nerve fibers in norm and pathology with results in the field of motor and clinical neurophysiology.
- Computer modeling of biomechanical and myoelectric activity and modeling the activity of myelinized axons.
- Identification of new calorimetric markers for classification and diagnosis of oncological diseases.
- Electroporation and transmission of DNA and drugs into the cell; application of electrochemotherapy for the treatment of skin tumors.
- The role of the phospholipid and fatty acid composition of the membranes, sphingolipid signaling as well as omega-3 fatty acids in the formation of domains and maintenance of the lateral organization of the membranes in certain cell pathologies has been established. The effect of antitumor lipids on carcinogenesis has been established.
- Development of new biocompatible polymer coatings by modifying their surface properties and regulating cell behavior and differentiation.
- The theory of aggregation networks and intuitionistic fuzzy sets, creation of software systems used in clinical practice for data analysis.
- Development and implementation in cardiology clinics of a number of systems and modules for analysis of signals characterizing human cardiac activity.
- Development of specialized software for virtual screening of biologically active molecules and evaluation of their toxic effects with the application of computer-aided (in silico) drug design.
- Clarification of the correlation between the structure and function of thylakoid membranes and the adaptation mechanisms of the photosynthetic apparatus of cyanobacteria, algae and higher plants under abiotic stress.
IBPhBME has accreditation for PhD students training under the following programs:
4.3 Biological Sciences – Biophysics;
4.3 Biological Sciences – Animal and Human Physiology;
4.6 Informatics and Computer Science – Informatics;
5.2 Electrical engineering, electronics and automation – Automated information processing and control systems (by industry);
5.2 Electrotechnics, electronics and automation – Application of the principles and methods of cybernetics in different fields of science.
IBPhBME specialists hold lecture courses at the:
- Training Center of BAS
- Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics of Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”
- Biological Faculty of Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”
- Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”
- University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, Sofia
- Faculty of Technical Sciences, University “Prof. Dr. Asen Zlatarov”- Bourgas
- Technical University – Sofia
- Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, University of Plovdiv “Paisii Hilendarski”
Other educational initiatives
- IBPhBME actively participates in the MES “Student Practices” projects and trains many graduates from different Higher Education Institutions.
- At IBPhBME, every year, studentrs from Sofia University “St. Kl. Ohridski”, TU-Sofia, UCTM-Sofia prepare their Bachelor and Master theses .
- IBPhBME teaches PhD students from other countries for certain periods.